Monday, March 22, 2010

Memphis Trip

JM's during "Gravity". The guitar solo blew my mind.
Rach and I went to see John Mayer in Memphis this past weekend. Fun times! I stole that pic above from some random twitterer who was at the same show. We were NOT that close. :) Here's a pic from where WE were sitting.


Almost to the very top of Fedex Forum!

Anyhoo, we got to Memphis at 3:00 on Friday afternoon. We checked into the hotel and just chilled until the concert. Rach was so freaking excited. John Mayer is her absolute favorite. We got to the show early and found our seats...so freaking high up. I was sick to my stomach and couldn't look down until all the seats filled up with people. It was crazy high!
Michael Franti & Spearhead played first. I really like their music. It's everyone-love-everyone music with a fun dance beat. :) Unfortunately, we were so high up that we really couldn't hear him. I think it was the bass noise and his super low register. So, kind of a disappointment.
There was an intermission before John came on. A huge net surrounded the stage...
Me: What do you think that net is for?
Rach: I think it's to protect John from malaria. You know...from the mosquitos?
Me: (sarcastically) Haha. Yeah. I get it. :)
Me: So, do you think John gets nervous before concerts?
Rach: Probably. I bet he's looking at himself in the mirror right now saying, "You're awesome. No, YOU'RE awesome."
Me: I bet he's doing push ups right now to make his pecks look bigger.
And so on and so forth. Finally, music started playing and images were projected on the screen that surrounded the stage. It was pretty cool, actually. Rach said, "OMG. My heart is racing!" Then the screens dropped and there he was! LOL. Rach was in HEAVEN. Thankfully, we didn't have the same problem hearing John as we did with Michael Franti. We did have to strain to hear when he was just talking, but the music was crystal clear.
Here's the set list:
Heartbreak Warfare
No Such Thing
Crossroads
Belief
Perfectly Lonely
Assassin
Stop This Train
The Heart of Life
Ain't No Sunshine - Guitar solo was awesome!
Waiting on the World to Change
Vultures
Half of My Heart > Walking in Memphis
Why Georgia
Gravity - He blew my mind with his guitar solo on this song!
Encore:
Who Says
I'm Gonna Find Another You
Needless to say, after this concert Rach was even more in love with John Mayer! :) We went back to the hotel and watched all of his music videos. Haha!
Saturday morning we took advantage of the hotels contentinal breakfast. Then we packed up, checked out and headed to Beale Street. We walked up and down Beale St several times. We went into all of the souvenir shops and ended up buying t-shirts. In one of the shops there was an acoustic guitar signed by John Mayer. I took a pic of Rach touching it. Hehe. Too bad I didn't have 350 extra dollars in my pocket. Otherwise, I might have bought it for her.
We ended the trip by having lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe.
I have some pics, but they're on Rach's camera. I'll try to get them from her and post them here later.
One little side note, we were kind of exhausted from only 4 hours of sleep the night before. On the drive home (Rach was driving), I decided to do some Mad Libs (our fave!). The first few were pretty funny. On the last one, I told Rach to be extra dirty (it makes 'em funnier! Don't judge!), so...she did. The result was so freaking hilarious that I went blind from laughing so hard and Rach ran off the road from the hilarity! Not so much that we wrecked, but we hit those loud noise thingys on the side of the interstate. Anyhoo, it was so hilarious. I would share it, but you probably wouldn't think it was funny. I asked Rach, "Does anyone other than us this we're that hilarious?" She said, "Probably not." We laugh so hard when we're together!
Download these songs (if you don't already have them):
Say Hey (I Love You) - Michael Franti and Spearhead
Heartbreak Warfare - John Mayer

2 comments:

Court said...

Sometimes blogger really ticks me off. I had this all nice and spaced out, but no matter how many times I edited it...it's still all smashed together. Oh well.

Just Jiff said...

Glad you had a great time!